The Spanish-Dutch Peace Treaty was solemnly sworn and declared in Münster town hall’s Friedenssaal (Hall of Peace) on 15 May 1648. As a result, the town hall symbolically stands for the Peace of Westphalia and therefore represents the places in the town associated with this event. The negotiations to reach this point are still considered to be a milestone in the European peace order today. As symbolic locations of shared European identity, the Münster and Osnabrück town halls were awarded with the European Heritage Label as “Peace of Westphalia sites”.
The Peace Bureau works with different partners on implementing the duties associated with this label, mediation and contemporary communication. The Peace Bureau also acts as a contact in administration and a coordination centre for civil society’s and religious groups’ activities in the field of peace work.
Phone + 49 (0)2 51.4 92-27 59
Fax + 49 (0)2 51.4 92-79 54