The construction of the first protestant church that was consecrated in 1900 in the mainly catholic city, was a "milestone". The building that followed it in 1950 had a special air about it: the place of worship had a solid appearance despite its unpretentiousness and was one of the 48 emergency churches that the American section of the Lutheran World Federation donated for all four occupation zones. At the time, Muenster’s Erlöserkirche was referred to as the "most beautiful emergency church Bartning type church in Germany (from the architect Prof. Bartning)".
The Erlöserkirche is in the meantime a listed building. It is famous for the sound of its bells and its interior that is characterised by wood and stone, not forgetting the organ from the organ builder Patrick Collon.