Baroque church with contemporary art
The third component of the “baroque island” at the Salzstrasse is a brick building featuring a Roman baroque façade and an octagonal cupola, built from 1705 to 1725 by Lambert Friedrich von Corfey. The façade joining the west front in an angle is all that’s left of the convent building of the Dominicans. The church building was used by the Catholic university congregation until profanation in November 2017.
The City of Münster is currently completing a work especially created for this building by Gerhard Richter inside the Baroque Dominican Church. The artist’s gift consists of a Foucault pendulum that is being installed in the church’s 29-metre high crossing cupola and four large high rectangular glass panes. They are being fixed in pairs to the walls opposite the crossing. The work on the building and the production and installation of the art work should be completed by the early summer of 2018.