Visiting academics

One of the universities in Münster has invited you to take up a post as a visiting academic.

You will find some advice on the quickest way to obtain a residence permit below, in order to ensure that you don’t spend hours dealing with bureaucracy and can attend to academic matters as soon as possible.

Prior to arrival

You may be reading this information prior to visiting Germany. In this case, here are some suggestions to help with your travel preparations.

In the event that you are not a citizen of one of the European Union member states, you will usually require a visa in order to enter Germany. Your local German representative office can issue you with this document. It will also provide information about possible exceptions.

Please contact the representative office punctually, and apply for a visa for the purposes of taking up employment as a visiting academic (category D).


If you and your family have not yet registered with the registration authorities, the Citizens’ Advice Bureau, we can help you to complete this process. You can submit the appropriate forms to us and we will be happy to pass them on.

Certificate of residential status

If you wish to work as a visiting academic in Münster, you will require a certificate of residential status.

You can obtain the certificate of residential status from us. Please bring the following documents with you:

  • Your passport
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Your employment contract with the university or grant confirmation
  • A current passport photo

With family

If your family accompanies you to Münster, all family members require a visa and, later, a certificate of residential status.

Your family members must bring the following additional documentation with them.

  • Passports of all family members
  • Marriage / birth certificates


Foreign researchers are able to receive a residence title under simplified conditions, provided a valid “admission agreement” has been concluded by the foreigner and a German research facility.
For specific details, please feel free to contact us.


Foreigners' Registration Office
Rechts- und Ausländeramt

Stadthaus 2
Ludgeriplatz 4
48151 Münster

Postal address:
48127 Münster

Tel. 02 51/4 92-36 36
Fax 02 51/4 92-79 71

Opening times information desk:

Mondays to Fridays:
10 am - 12 pm

3 pm – 6 pm

Emergency office hours:

Mondays to Thursdays:
10am - 12 pm
Appointments by arrangement

Hotline +49(0)251/4 92-36 36:

Monday and Friday:
8 am - 12 pm

Tuesday and Wednesday
8 am - 16 pm

8 am - 12 pm
3 pm – 6 pm