Stadt Münster: Ausländerbehörde im Rechts- und Ausländeramt - Residence for the purposes of a family unification


Family unification

Under certain circumstances, you may be able to obtain a residence permit for the purposes of a family unification with your spouse who is living in Germany. It is also possible to reunite minors with their parents.

How do you go about this?

Are you still living abroad, but wish to join your spouse? In this case, you must apply for the appropriate visa (category D) from a German representative office. You should usually already be able to make yourself understood in German at a basic level (language course level A1).

In the event that you have children (minors) who are living with you abroad, they will also require category D visas. You must also have sole custody of the children in the event that the other parent is not living in Germany.

After arriving

Visas are usually issued for three months, which is why you must approach us to apply for a residence permit. One of the conditions which must be fulfilled is the existence of marital / familial cohabitation.

As there are numerous different regulations, it is not possible to explain each individual case here. If you have any questions, please contact us in person or get in touch with your German representative office.


Adresse, Anfahrt, Öffnungszeiten


Foreigners' Registration Office
Rechts- und Ausländeramt

Stadthaus 2
Ludgeriplatz 4
48151 Münster

Postal address:
48127 Münster

Tel. 02 51/4 92-36 36
Fax 02 51/4 92-79 71

Opening times information desk:
currently closed

Emergency office hours:
currently closed

Opening times for appointments:

Mondays to Fridays:
8 am - 12.30 pm

Mondays and Tuesdays:
1.30 pm - 4 pm

Thursdays: 1.30 pm - 6 pm

Hotline +49(0)251/4 92-36 36:

Mondays to Fridays:
8 am - 12.30 pm

Mondays and Tuesdays:
1.30 pm - 4 pm

8 am - 12.30 pm
3 pm – 6 pm