Münster Public Library
Welcome to Münster Public Library (Stadtbücherei Münster)
During library opening hours users have access to a wide variety of media and resources.
The most important in brief
The following items are available for borrowing:
- Non-fiction and specialist texts
- Literature and light fiction
- Children’s and young person’s books
- Language learning programs
- Magazines and newspapers
- Country and city maps
- Comics and board games
- Audiobooks and films
- Music CDs and music scores
- Software and computer games
… in addition we offer:
- Computers (with Internet and Office software)
- WLAN (not at the Hansaplatz branch)
- Access to online services including PressReader
- Rosetta Stone Language Courses
- Reading and study areas
... and at the central library (Alten Steinweg):
- Bookable, cost-free, study rooms
- A language learning room
- Piano room
- Gaming room
Library Membership Card
With your library card you can borrow items from the central library, all branches, and the bookmobile.
To apply for a library membership card you need to
- provide a personal identification card, OR an identification document with photo and a city registration card and
- pay a membership fee
Your library card is not transferable.
Please inform the library immediately on a
- Change of residence
- Change of name
- Loss of library card
Otherwise you could be held responsible for the misuse of your library card.
The loan period is 4 weeks, or 2 weeks in the case of periodicals and specially marked media.
How many items?
Users may borrow up to 30 items at a time.
How much does it cost?
- Users over 18: may choose to pay a quarterly, an annual or a one-day fee.
- Users under 18: borrowing is for free.
- All age groups: films, games, audiobooks, which are labelled as rental items (indicated with a "€"), are subject to an extra rental cost.
The loan period for any item may be renewed twice, as long as no one else has requested the item. Interlibrary loan items (interloans) may not be renewed.
- on the Internet using the online catalogue / your library membership account: www.stadt-muenster.de/buecherei (the item must not be past its due date)
- over the service telephone (251) 492 4242 (Monday - Friday 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- at the service counter in the library
- on our computers using the online catalogue.
Films, games, audiobooks, CDs and software labelled as rental items will incur a further rental charge, for the renewal period.
Check the due date on the return slip issued when you borrow (an) item/s. Any item returned past its due-by-date will incur an overdue charge.
Borrowed items can be returned:
- at central library, in all branches and in the bookmobile during opening hours
- at central library on Alten Steinweg using the after-hours return slot (library card required).
Please treat all borrowed items with care. Any loss of, or damage to, a borrowed item will incur charges.
Reservations / requests
Items out on loan to another borrower can be reserved. Items not out on loan can be requested.
Reservations can be made by all library card holders who have paid their annual or quarterly fee:
- at central library and in all branches at the information counter
- on our computers using the online catalogue
- over the Internet using the online catalogue. You will be notified when your reservation is available to be collected
Requests can be made:
- over the Internet using the online catalogue
- over the service telephone (251) 492 4242 (Monday - Friday 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.).
What does it cost?
Once put aside for you, reserved and requested items incur a charge of €2.00 (two euros). The amount will be charged, even if you should no longer wish to borrow the item/s.
Fees at a glance
|Fees at a glance: Library membership card / registration|
|Issuing a pass|
|For adults||5 euros|
|Children and juveniles under 18 years||3 euros|
|with Münster Pass||free|
|Replacement pass if lost||5 euros|
|User fees age 18 and over|
|for 1 day||5 euros|
|for 3 months (90 days)||8 euros|
|for 12 months (365 days)||24 euros|
|with Münster Pass||12 euros|
|Additional loan fees|
|films, games, audiobooks, music CDs labelled rental with a "€"; per item||1 euro|
|Preorder / reservation|
|per copy||2 euros|
|Interlibrary loan request|
|per copy||3 euros|
| per copy and day from the |
|Children's range||0,30 euros|
|Piano room, per hour 3 euros||3 euros|
|replacement of a lost key||10 euros|
|The use and charging regulations of the Münster Municipal Library are available on request from the information points.|
|Aaseemarkt||Goerdelerstraße 51 - 53|
Telephone 02 51/75 41 99
Telephone 02 51/4 92-42 66
|Hansaplatz|| Wolbecker Straße 97|
Telephone 02 51/4 92-42 55
|Kinderhaus|| In the Bürgerhaus|
Telephone 02 51/4 92-42 77
|Gievenbeck-Auenviertel||(in La Vie)|
Telephone 02 51/3 99 45 88
|Gievenbeck||Bücherei St. Michael|
Telephone 02 51/1 35 66 91
|Bookmobile (Bücherbus)||Stopping places in city areas.|
Telephone 02 51/4 92-42 44
Timetable available in the daily newspaper, at central library, in all branches, and in Internet