Driving in Münster is not particularly stressful, despite the fact that the city attracts a lot of traffic. There is good road access to the city for visitors, parking is convenient and it is also easy to register your own vehicle. Car-sharing is a practical and inexpensive alternative to keeping your own car.
- Information about directions, street plan, multi-storey car parks, parking guidance system, vehicle registration: www.muenster.de/auto.html
- Information and street plans: The Münster Information Point in Stadthaus 1 and in the historic Town Hall on Prinzipalmarkt; ph. 02 51 / 4 92-27 10
- The inner city is low emission zone (LEZ). Car drivers need a green or yellow badge to be allowed to drive within the LEZ. Badges can be purchased at the TÜV, Dekra or GTÜ offices, as well as at over 30,000 garages in all Germany. In Münster, the Citizens’ Offices and the Vehicle Registration Office sell them for five euros. Car holders need to present their vehicle registration certificate.
Münster can be reached conveniently by car: those travelling from the Ruhr district and the Rhineland should take the motorways A1 and A43 to the Münster-Süd junction (Münster-South), while those approaching from Bremen and Hamburg should take the A1 to the Münster-Nord junction (Münster-North). A and B roads also lead into and through the city from all directions.
- A parking guidance system is available, which helps visitors to find parking spaces. www.stadt-muenster.de/tiefbauamt/parkleitsystem
There are seven multi-storey and underground car parks in the Old Town and near the main railway station, and another two at the Cineplex cinema and Stadthaus 3, near the Halle Münsterland. A selection of parking spaces is also available for long-stay visitors. The main inner city car park, with space for over 900 cars, is located on the Schlossplatz, in front of the baroque castle.
Information on multi-storey car parks, opening hours, parking charges and long-stay visitors is available from:
Westfälische Bauindustrie, ph. 02 51 / 97 23 20
Car registration and driving licences
The Vehicle Registration Office is on hand to answer questions regarding vehicle registration and driving licences.
- Kfz-Zulassungsstelle (Vehicle Registration Office), Rudolf-Diesel-Straße 5-7
Monday to Wednesday and Friday from 7:30 am – 12 noon, Thursday from 7:30 am - 2 pm, plus (on appointment): Monday to Wednesday from 12 noon to 4 pm, Thursday from 2 – 6 pm
ph. 02 51 / 4 92-35 11
- see "Registration formalities"
Car-sharing is a practical and inexpensive alternative to running your own car. "Stadtteilautos" are available from a range of service points across the city. The benefits: users have nothing to do with the cars' insurance, maintenance or cleaning.